- 2 shallots, peeled
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3 pieces bacon, diced, cooked, reserving 1 tablespoon bacon fat
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 4 cups heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound penne pasta, cooked
- 1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 2 tbsp. melted butter
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place shallots and garlic in a small aluminum foil pouch and drizzle with olive oil. Roast 20 to 30 minutes or until tender. Remove from foil and chop.
2. In a large saute pan, reheat reserved bacon fat over medium heat. Add roasted shallot and garlic and saute for 1 minute. Add flour and stir for 1 minute. Whisk in heavy cream and thyme. Reduce by a third. Stir in cheeses until melted, creamy and thickened. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and gently stir in pasta. Place in a 9X13 casserole dish.
3. In a small bowl, mix together diced bacon, bread crumbs, butter and parsley. Top Mac n Cheese with Panko mixture and bake uncovered at same heat until bubbling and lightly browned on top, 20 to 25 minutes. Serve.