- 3 cups fresh corn kernels, divided
- 1/2 small white onion
- 1/2 large poblano chile
- 1 red Fresno chile
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 cup fresh whole milk
- 1 cup fresh cream
- 6 oz dry sea scallops
- 4 oz smoked bacon, diced
- 1 teaspoon cultured butter
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper
1. Roast the poblano, Fresno, onion, garlic and 1/2 of the corn in a 450 degree oven until the peppers are blackened. Place the peppers in a paper bag or under an inverted bowl to steam a bit- the skins will peel right off.
2. Pulse the uncooked corn in a blender with the milk, cream and smoked chili powder, then transfer to a heavy pot set over medium-low heat. Stirring frequently, allow to simmer until reduced by 1/4.
3. Chop the roasted peppers, onion and garlic and add to the pan. Stir to combine.
4. Meanwhile, sauté diced bacon over medium-high heat until well browned. Pour off all but 1 teaspoon of fat and add 1 teaspoon butter, paprika and cilantro. Add the scallops and sear until golden brown on both sides. Transfer to the soup, stir to combine. Adjust seasoning with salt & pepper if necessary and serve steaming hot.